Tuesday 30 March 2010

Boys run like water from the barrel to the trough

Ok. I *am* actually doing my project right now. However, it is, at this second taking an age to make a mosaic (not a good sign, I know, but I am testing out a few new features, so I'll let it off), so I thought I'd jump on here and tell all you lovely folks (I know there are at least two of you..) about the wonderousness that was Owen Pallett.

After a bit of a hectic "train" journey there (Sunday trains, and a bus replacement service between Sandhills and Lime Street), I finally met Nice Phil (too long a story I'm not going into) at the Cornerhouse.

Off we pop, {ooh! It worked!! I should go, but I've started so I'll finish ; ) } to find a small Japanese restaurant I'd scouted out (http://www.umami.cc/). Nervously going down two flights of stairs with no signs that it*was* a place to eat, it turned out to be rather yummy. A mini-Wagamama, but a lot cheaper. Win. And we both tried fruit fritters (banana, pineapple, and the surprise favourite, apple). Scrummy.

Then to the venue, conveniently round the corner. This time, up two flights of stairs. Breeze through ticket collection, pause briefly at the merchandise table, hesitate, then hear some interesting sounds from the actual room, so go through, to discover..
TCHAIKOVSKY 6!! Yay! What excellent taste. We're assuming it was hand picked by M.Pallett, else The Deaf Institution has some seriously awesome stuff going for it. Like this stereo wall:


Decide to go buy some t-shirts (and also now regretting the fact I didn't buy a mug..), then go through to wait for the support band. Which turned out to be thrash metal ... Saying that, it was alright. I don't think I'd choose to listen to it, and I was glad that I could still hear properly after Next Life had finished playing, but 'twas an experience of a completely different type of music :

Here's their keyboardist. Also note the wonderful wallpaper:


Some more of the quirky venue:
There was a small seated section at the back, in a small alcove:


And of course, then there was Owen :D

Stonking set list:

  • The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead
  • This is the Dream of Win and Reg
  • The Man with No Ankles
  • That's when the Audience Died
  • Keep the Dog Quiet / Mount Alpentine
  • The Great Elsewhere
  • Lewis Takes Action
  • He Poos Clouds (from which the photo above is taken. The pizz *and* arco part in the middle. My favourite song!!)
  • Interview
  • Flare Gun
  • The Butcher
  • Many Lives -> 49 MP (wonderful version of it)
  • This Lamb Sells Condos
  • Lewis Takes Off his Shirt
  • Independence is No Solution
  • Better Than Worse

He is a brilliant live performer. I can't really describe in English just how good it was. Luckily, a nice person took some videos : ) And he has a wonderful laugh (a snippet of which is in the vid to He Poos Clouds; just up there..)

The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead

This is the Dream of Win and RĂ©gine

The Man with No Ankles

That's When the Audience Died

Keep the Dog Quiet / Mount Alpentine

The Great Elsewhere - Lewis Takes Action

Can't wait for him to be in England again :D

And now, to mosaic!

No comments:

Post a Comment